Jonathan, Katrina & Soren

Jonathan, Katrina & Soren
Jon and Katrina were married in May 2008. We live in Houston, TX. Katrina graduated from Utah State and plays the "SugaMama" role as Jon continues with his studies at U of H. We love getting lost and having all sorts of crazy adventures. Jon is nice and Katrina is honest. :) We are first time parents to Soren Idrios. He has bulldog cheeks! These are our stories.

Jon, my love!

Jon, my love!

Jon likes...

Soren!
Katrina
Math
Mario Kart
Monopoly
Longboarding
English papers... :)
Fringe
Funny Things
Wearing shorts on the weekends
Taco Night
His t-shirts with or without holes and
College Football


Katrina

Katrina

Kat Likes...

Soren Idrios
Sharky
EspaƱol
HGTV
Making dinner
Cuddling on the "SofaSac"
Hiking and Camping
Fruit Snacks
Hugs
Not having eye infections.
Lists :)
Crafting?
and JON of course!




Powered by Blogger.

18 November 2008

I GOT IN!

Yesterday I was extended an offer to work for Teach for America in Houston, Texas! It looks like I'm going to be very busy for the next two years. I feel so excited and Jon is so supportive. He bought me pink roses and took me out to my favorite Thai restaurant in Logan. We went bowling, had ice cream, and watched a movie too; all to celebrate! We are so excited to be moving to the this beautiful city next year.

I have already started looking at apartments which admittedly is premature, but I can't help myself! The cost of living there is much less expensive than where we are now. It is a huge city filled with great museums, shopping, cultural festivals, and has a beautiful temple in the northwestern suburbs.

I don't which school I am teaching at yet, but I know that I tentatively assigned at "bilingual, PreK-4th grades." I don't even know exactly what that means yet, but I know it means that I get to work with the little latino kids in the school. This is a small dream come true for me; I guess that means I have even bigger dreams. (he he) I can't wait to get started helping these kids!

Did you know?

4th graders in the United States should be reading books like "Harry Potter", but 4th graders in low-income communities are still reading "See Spot Run."

Only about 50% of children in low-income communities graduate from high school.

Those that do graduate do so at an 8th grade reading level.

Only one in 10 will graduate from college.

13 million children are currently living in this situation in the United States.

These children are not under-performing because they are not are capable or smart as children from high-income communities, so why then this achievement gap?There are many reasons. Some of the causes are out of our control, others are not.

And that is why I want to work to stop this injustice. I can't fix the problem everywhere, but I can start one child at a time. I'm just one person, but I can do hard things and work to make a bright future for those who will come after me.

YAY! What a great adventure!




10 comments:

Amy said...

How awesome and very exciting! Congrats!

si tu veux said...

sooooo excited for you. what an amazing opportunity, and couldn't have happened to a better person. love you.

Liz said...

We are proud of you!
Dad and Mom

--- Do you check your home phone messages?

Anonymous said...

Congrats Kat! That is a fabulous opportunity for you guys! You will make such a great difference for those kids. Jack and I kind of wanted to move to Texas. Maybe one day!

LeShel said...

way to go super hero! I wrote all about you on my blog. I couldn't help but brag about being related to you! Love you!!

It"s me said...

Yea for you! I love the kids I work with and I know you will love it too! I am so super excited for you!

Jewls said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome!!! Congratulations, I knew that you would get in!! And just think...then you won't have such psycho next door neighbors ;) ha!

wisthrop said...

Yea! We are so excited for you. You are in our prayers as you begin this new adventure. Good luck on your move and finding a place. Enjoy your teaching! It sounds like it would be an awesome and life-changing adventure.

si tu veux said...

kat and jon, i know you two are about the busiest people out here but::::

You have been tagged and given an award, from me, take the award, do the tag, or do both. Whatever you would like to do.

Happy Turkey Recovery Day!

rerah968 said...

Congrats on the position! You must be way excited and Chris is way happy that you are moving away. Just Kidding. I would love to live somewhere outside of Utah for a while. I want to try somewhere new. I'm all about change. The only thing that sucks is that now I'm not going to get to really know you. We'll have to write. Congrats again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...