Jonathan, Katrina & Soren

Jonathan, Katrina & Soren
Jon and Katrina were married in May 2008. We live in Houston, TX. Katrina graduated from Utah State and plays the "SugaMama" role as Jon continues with his studies at U of H. We love getting lost and having all sorts of crazy adventures. Jon is nice and Katrina is honest. :) We are first time parents to Soren Idrios. He has bulldog cheeks! These are our stories.

Jon, my love!

Jon, my love!

Jon likes...

Soren!
Katrina
Math
Mario Kart
Monopoly
Longboarding
English papers... :)
Fringe
Funny Things
Wearing shorts on the weekends
Taco Night
His t-shirts with or without holes and
College Football


Katrina

Katrina

Kat Likes...

Soren Idrios
Sharky
EspaƱol
HGTV
Making dinner
Cuddling on the "SofaSac"
Hiking and Camping
Fruit Snacks
Hugs
Not having eye infections.
Lists :)
Crafting?
and JON of course!




Powered by Blogger.

06 November 2008

Influence

Life has been a bit hectic to say the least. Two weeks ago Sunday my grandmother passed away. She is a wonderful lady and will always be cherished by those who knew her. I know that she is in a better place doing wonderful things. She is with family and friends and will be there to greet my family when we pass from this mortality.

My heart aches for her on most days, but has done so for a long time. She battled with Alzheimer's disease in the last years of her life and anyone who knows about or has experienced this disease in their life or family knows how challenging it is.

I would like, however, to dedicate this blog to my precious grandfather. His work ethic is uncoupled, his generosity and spirit of service is magnificent, and his love for me means everything. He never left my grandmother’s side not even for a moment during her affliction. He took care of her and suffered with her to the very end. That is in itself a heroic act, but also the epitome of long-suffering, eternal love, and honoring sacred covenants. I am amazed at his strength even now after her passing. Their love for one another is of the sweetest, most respectful I have felt.

Because he has loved his wife, his family, and his neighbor my grandfather has served the Lord his whole life. I have never witnessed greater testimony, acute faith, and inspiring love. Thank you grandpa for all that you teach us through your humble example. He is so tender to me and every time we speak on the phone or we visit I feel uplifted, strengthened, and an eagerness to continue on in my life in such a way that would always make him proud of me. Take today for example, he is dusting the house and doing so with a cheerful heart, blest with work. I am reminded of my dirty house and my previously begrudging attitude towards my duty to clean it and feel grateful now to have a change of perspective.

Forgive my continued rambling, but…

I think that many of us are in search of "making a name" for ourselves, or doing something truly great that will in turn be our little bit of immortality to leave behind in this world. I recently heard a speech in which the orator discussed this very topic: influence.

She spoke of those who we deem to be the most influential people in our society. Some of her categories included winners of the Nobel Prize, those who carry the title of Ms. America, Heisman athletes, Presidents of the United States, Great War generals, and others. Then she posed the question to us, “Do any of you remember the names of these individuals?” Do we remember the names of the last 10 people who won a Nobel Prize, Ms. America? Can we even list the names of our last 10 presidents? No? But these are our most influential people, right?

Wrong.

Our most influential people are those we know, and those who know us. They are friends, teachers, bishops, mission presidents, fathers, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, mothers, and grandparents. Whether these individuals have been a positive pebble in our pond of self-worth or a deadly drought set to destroy us, they are still those who have the greatest power to motivate; our most influential people.

Can we today reflect on just one of these individuals? If this person was a righteous influence in our lives, can we thank them personally? Not by email, or in our hearts, or a text, but an actual phone call, or a real letter? If this particular individual caused us pain or hurt, can we forgive them and pledge to be positive influence for change? I believe we can. We can be that righteously influential brother, teacher, sister, friend, wife, mom, son, husband, or grandfather to those who matter most to us. We can also be that Nobel Prize winner or the lovely Ms. America, but none of that will matter if we are not first and foremost the reciprocator of the service, love, encouragement, and tenderness provided to us by our most influential.

I am so thankful to these many people in my life. They are so precious to me and I am rededicating myself to be more like each one of them.

4 comments:

si tu veux said...

Katrina,

A beautifully written acknowledgment of Grandfather, a tribute to him, and to who you are. I will be thinking a lot about these words, and hope to see your words inspire good work in me. You are amazing. Love you. Hope all is well.

Liz said...

Thanks for the truthful and beautifully written words about my father. I am so glad you have the great knowledge and spirit that you do. Thanks for putting it into words that touch each of us.
Love,
Mom
XOXOXOXOXOXOX

rerah968 said...

That's really sweet of you to say about your grandfather. I've realized as well that my grandparents are a big influence in my life and that I shouldn't take time with them for granted. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's never easy to lose anyone.

It"s me said...

That was such a wonderful blog. You put everything into words so wonderfully! You are a wonderful person! Good luck with everything in your life right now! Keep us updated!
Luv,
Me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...